We welcome new members of all experience levels and ages over 12. Petanque is a fantastic game and anyone can learn it. The petanque ‘boule’ is a small, steel ball thrown from standing, squatting or anything-in-between stance to land as closely to the target jack (or ‘cochonet’) as possible.
Scoring is as in bowls – closest to the jack of the ‘holding’ team counts. Games are usually played to 13 points no matter how many ‘ends’ this may take. On club days there is usually a time limit to each game of 40 minutes plus an end. This allows a decent amount of time per game but also provides enough time for up to 4 games each club day.
The Tauranga Bay of Plenty Petanque Association is affiliated to Petanque NZ and Auckland Regional Petanque Association. We play to the national body rules which are available on their website.
- Every Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday commencing at 1 pm.
- Every Thursday commencing at 11 am.
- Times of play can sometimes change during Summer, please contact our secretary for more information, check our latest posts here or on our Facebook page.
- A minimum of 3 games on Tuesdays, Saturdays & Sundays and 2 games on Thursdays.
- Coaching days are held once a month on Sundays with Andre Noel who is a regular representative for New Zealand. These are free to members.
Guest Players – Social and from Other Clubs
We welcome guest players for a fun day of Petanque. Please contact our Secretary so that we know you are coming and can contact you if for whatever reason that day’s play does not go ahead.
First Time or New Players
You don’t need any experience or equipment to give Petanque a try. Give our secretary a call on 0223099143 for information on the next day of play.
Present Officers of the Club
We are located at Club Mt Maunganui on Kawaka Street.
- President: John Rowley
- Secretary/Treasurer: Bruce Inglis
- Club Captain: Maryan Kennedy
In 2017 we completed the building of a 20 piste terrain at Club Mt Maunganui, Tauranga. We wish to thank our sponsors who have granted the funds to do this.
Many thanks to TECT, Pub Charity, NZCT, the Lion Foundation, NZ Corrections and Tauranga City Council for their support for this project.
We also thank companies listed below for tournament prize donations.